Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Spending my lazy days

Oh I am getting pampered here… (And slightly fat)

Yesterday we took the boat out and went to an island near by, just to hang around and enjoy the sun. Of course since its winter here now the water is too cold for others, but not for me! After a delicious afternoon with sun, sea and crabs on the sand, we returned to get ready for the evening agenda.

The new magazine Kamene is also working with is the “economist” of Angola, and last night was the official opening! We got dressed, walked into a media mass (I flashed my best smile at all cameras) and mingled with the minister of communication and other government officials and company heads. Was great! The food was only so so, but I still managed to pig out by eating a whole lobster… Oink oink!
I was going to add here links of the news where I appeared, but alas, since I can’t see myself and know my friends don’t speak Portuguese, I'll leave it..

And to continue my seafood overindulging, today we grilled a cuttlefish that was caught just in front of the house. Actually, I’ve been eating more than well since I’ve arrived. Which kind of sucks cause now I need to stop cracking jokes about Africa’s malnutrition. (Which I have seen here)

And the different fruits and roots and veggies I have tried! Amazing! (And some not so amazing) We took a photo this afternoon, see below. Who ever knew cashew nuts grew with a fruit?

I also had the pleasure some nights ago to pick my very first coconut straight from the tree!!!

Kamene wanted to take me to South of Angola to sleep in the desert and see Tundavala and Serra da Leba (see Kamene's picture below) and villages along the way.

After our first trip and car trouble, I decided that sitting in a car hour after hour on horrible roads with holes and bumps will have to wait.


The idea of taking the boat and going a bit further and staying overnight at Kamene’s parents’ summerhouse, in an excluded place on the beach, sounds far more exciting!

Todoloo

No comments: